In April 1972, Ford reintroduced the name "Ford Consul" for the cheaper and less advanced versions of the recently launched Ford Granada. Ford of Britain and Ford of Germany worked together to develop these cars, which were manufactured in Cologne, West Germany, and Dagenham, United Kingdom. To differentiate them from Granadas, Consul models feature a two-panel cross-mesh grille instead of the Granada's horizontal chrome bar grille.
The Consul range included the Consul, Consul L, and Consul GT models, which came in four body styles: two-door saloon, four-door saloon, two-door coupé, and five-door estate. However, unlike the Zephyr Estate, the Consul Estate was made by Ford themselves.
The cars offered in the UK had different power units. These were the 1663 cc Essex V4 and 1996 cc Essex V4, which produced 77 and 92 hp respectively, and the 2495 cc Essex V6, which produced 118 hp. The Consul GT had a more powerful 2994 cc Essex V6 engine that produced 138 hp. However, it was less equipped than the Granada, which made it lighter by around 110 lb (51 kg) and faster. Later, in 1974, the 1663 cc Essex V4 was replaced by the 2.0 litre Pinto engine. Read more
The Consul in Germany was given the option to choose from different Ford engines that were built in Germany. The engines included the 1699 cc Ford Taunus V4 engine, which drivers of the Ford Taunus 17M would be familiar with, as well as a 2.0 liter straight-four and a 2.3 liter Cologne V6.
After losing a legal case to Granada Group, Ford stopped using the name Consul in late 1975 and named all models as Granada.